Northern Ireland Electricity Networks (NIE), the electricity distribution network operator in Northern Ireland, faced the challenge of managing their timesheets using paper-based systems, which were cumbersome, error-prone, and inefficient. This manual approach resulted in several drawbacks:
- Manual Data Entry: Staff spent considerable time manually entering timesheet data, leading to increased administrative workload and reduced productivity.
- Error Propagation: Manual data entry increased the risk of errors, potentially affecting payroll accuracy and compliance.
- Inadequate Data Visibility: The lack of centralized data management made it difficult for NIE to gain insights into staff timekeeping patterns and identify areas for improvement.
NIE partnered with Cranmore and ATOS to develop a comprehensive digital solution, the Timesheets Portal & Mobile Application, to replace the paper-based system and streamline timesheet management. The solution adopted a hybrid agile/waterfall approach, combining the flexibility of agile development with the structure of waterfall methodologies.
- Intuitive and User-Friendly App and Portal: The app and portal were designed with ease of use in mind, providing a modern and user-friendly interface for staff and managers.
- Automated Data Population: The system automatically populates timesheets with data from other systems, reducing the need for manual data entry and minimizing errors.
- Receipt Attaching and Expense Claim: Staff can seamlessly attach receipts and claim for meal expenses directly within the timesheet, eliminating the need for separate processes.
- Timesheet Copying and Pasting: The ability to copy and paste timesheet entries from one day to another saves time and effort for similar tasks.
Solution / Benefits
The introduction of these integrated solutions has yielded a range of benefits for DVA, including:
- Enhanced Efficiency and Productivity: Compliance officers can now efficiently capture, manage, and access compliance data directly from the field, reducing paperwork and improving productivity.
- Streamlined Workflows: The centralized portal and tablet app seamlessly integrate, eliminating the need to switch between multiple systems and reducing data redundancy.
- Improved Data Accuracy and Consistency: Data capture and validation mechanisms ensure that compliance data is accurate and consistent, facilitating better decision-making and compliance enforcement.
- Real-time Insights: Real-time access to compliance data enables DVA to identify trends, patterns, and potential non-compliance issues promptly.
- Targeted Enforcement: The system facilitates data-driven targeting of non-compliant operators, drivers, and vehicles, optimizing compliance efforts and resource allocation.
- Enhanced Collaboration: The centralized system promotes collaboration among DVA staff, enabling them to share information and coordinate enforcement activities more effectively.
The implementation of the unified portal and tablet system has transformed DVA’s compliance enforcement capabilities, leading to significant improvements in efficiency, data accuracy, and enforcement effectiveness. By streamlining workflows, enhancing data accessibility, and enabling real-time insights, DVA is better positioned to ensure compliance with regulations and maintain road safety standards.